Comrades and friends,
The parking lot meetings conducted by our team over the past couple weeks have been a wonderful opportunity to reconnect with hundreds of our members in person for the first time since before the pandemic, and have helped many develop a deeper understanding of the issues surrounding the contract extension proposal. The voting dates (RSMC - Aug 25, Urban - Aug 26) give everyone plenty of time to read as much as they can on both sides of the debate and schedule an hour for one of the time slots on their respective voting date. Please use your vote to send a clear message, one way or the other, to CPC and our National leadership.
This week's dispatch is packed with the following quality content: 1) the latest No Relief comic, 2) a message from Brother Mike Palecek, past CUPW National President (2015-2019), on the importance of membership-driven negotiations, 3) a collection of 'No!' vote analysis, and 4) the most up-to-date info on how the extension vote will be held. As a side note, I will be taking some long-planned holidays over the next two weeks before returning to help host the extension votes; my office will be covered and happy to assist with any questions you may have. Take care and stay safe.
CUPW 730's very own agit-provocateur, Kyle Turner, is back at it again with his latest slice of comic art imitating life. Will our hero ever discover the right time to fight for workers' rights, or will he wait patiently until he is given permission to demand more?
From Mike Palecek (CUPW National President 2015-2019): A bottom-up bargaining process engages our entire membership and prepares them for the struggle that lay ahead. By the time our bargaining committee gets to the table, all of our activists have been engaged in the process. Even the members who are less active in the union will have received a mail-out detailing our program of demands. All of this builds power. Read more >>
Who Can Vote?
The extension votes will be conducted virtually or by phone. Only Members In Good Standing (MIGS) with updated contact information, can participate in the vote.
- If you have not yet signed your CUPW membership card contact our office (780-423-9000 ext. 2)
- To update your contact information visit: www.cupw.ca/en/update-my-info
RSMC and Urban members will each have their own, separate, meeting presentations, voting days and times. Extra time slots have been added to accommodate the different shifts. Select only one time slot.
-Once you have updated your contact information, you will receive your voting PIN from the National CUPW office either by mail or email.
- If you have not received your voting PIN via mail or email from National CUPW office by August 20, contact the Regional CUPW office for assistance at 1 (204) 942-5480.
RSMC Voting Options
Wednesday, August 25, 2021 // choose only one time slot:
-1630h // Meeting Link: https://zoom.us/j/89207338917
Meeting ID: 892 0733 8917 // Password: 904946 // Phone Option: 1-855-703-8985
- 1900h // Meeting Link: https://zoom.us/j/86739232219
Meeting ID: 867 3923 2219 // Password: 109532 // Phone Option: 1-855-703-8985
Urban Voting Options
Thursday, August 26, 2021 // choose only one time slot:
- 0900h // Meeting Link: https://zoom.us/j/81120089172
Meeting ID: 811 2008 9172 // Password: 672844 // Phone Option: 1-855-703-8985
- 1200h // Meeting Link: https://zoom.us/j/88067063399
Meeting ID: 880 6706 3399 // Password: 456536 // Phone Option: 1-855-703-8985
- 1630h // Meeting Link: https://zoom.us/j/85063867924
Meeting ID: 850 6386 7924 // Password: 883207 // Phone Option: 1-855-703-8985
- 1900h // Meeting Link: https://zoom.us/j/84370187306
Meeting ID: 843 7018 7306 // Password: 589470 // Phone Option: 1-855-703-8985
How To Vote
1. Update your contact information: www.cupw.ca/en/update-my-info
2. Receive your 8-digit PIN via mail or email from National CUPW to participate in the vote.
3. Choose one time slot link for your classification (RSMC or Urban).
4. Use your link and password (or phone option) to join 10 minutes before the listed time.
5. Watch/listen to the presentations then receive voting instructions.
National CUPW Voting Guidelines
- Each voting member must be logged into the Zoom meeting before the meeting start time.
- Every meeting will begin with a presentation you must attend to vote.
- Once presentations start, no late-comers will be admitted to the meeting.
- After the presentation, there will be time allowed for questions and answers.
- Voting instructions will then be provided.
Downloaded/printable PDF version: Link
To stay aligned with the federal health guidelines affecting our members, our office remains locked and available by appointment only. We are trying to conduct all meetings with members over the phone or via video conferencing. Exemptions can be made for unique circumstances. In either case, please call (780) 423-9000 to arrange an appointment with the appropriate officer. We are extremely busy in the office so please leave a message if you’re unable to catch us on the phone.