Comrades and friends,
Locals across our region have expressed concern to our NEB over the difficulties many of our members are having with the virtual format for the contract extension vote. In response, the NEB has scheduled one more voting day combining all locals in the Prairie region with three voting time options. The post below details everything needed for those still looking to vote.
Seeing as the Edmonton and Winnipeg executives have officially taken a 'No!' position on the contract, and will have members attend these last combined ratification votes, Matthew (Winnipeg President) and I formally requested that we have the opportunity to present the 'No!' recommendation to our members. This request was denied by the NEB. We feel this is inappropriate because the members of our locals have the right to hear the recommendations of their own directly elected representatives, as well as a balanced perspective of what is being voted on. Debate and exploration of different perspectives make the democracy of our organization stronger, not weaker. Since we will not be allowed to present the other side of this vote, I have included a video of the 'No!' presentation I made during the meetings last week for our those still looking to vote to consider.
Also in this dispatch: September GMM registration as well as a community request to help find Christopher Dafoe, who went missing Aug 13.
Who Can Vote?
The last day for the extension vote will be conducted virtually or by phone on Friday, September 3, 2021 at three different times. To vote, you must:
1. Be a CUPW Member in good standing with updated contact information.
2. Have received a secure 8-digit PIN via mail or email allowing you to cast a vote.
3. By Email: Register using one of the voting time slot links below. You will then receive a separate email with a new link to join the meeting.
4. By Phone: Call the phone number listed below during the vote time and follow the voice instructions.
5. Use your link and password (or phone option) to join 10 minutes before the listed time. Late-comers will not be able to join.
If you have already received your PIN but have not yet voted at previous meetings, you will be able to use your PIN to vote on September 3. If you have not yet updated your contact information or received your voting PIN from CUPW National via physical mail or email, and are still interested in voting on the contract extension, please call (780-423-9000 ext. 2) or email (email@example.com) our office as soon as possible to provide the following information:
The NEB has combined the RSMC and Urban meetings to take place at the same time. Multiple time slots have been scheduled to accommodate the different shifts. Please register to attend only one time slot.
Friday, September 3, 2021 // register for only one time slot:
- 9:00am // Meeting Registration: LINK // Meeting ID: 83650747826 // Password: 744377 // Phone Option: 1-587-328-1099
- 1:30pm // Meeting Registration: LINK // Meeting ID: 84621881219 // Password: 148738 // Phone Option: 1-587-328-1099
- 6:30pm // Meeting Registration: LINK // Meeting ID: 86598646967 // Password: 310602 // Phone Option: 1-587-328-1099
Downloaded/printable PDF version: LINK
To stay aligned with the federal health guidelines affecting our members, our office remains locked and available by appointment only. We are trying to conduct all meetings with members over the phone or via video conferencing. Exemptions can be made for unique circumstances. In either case, please call (780) 423-9000 to arrange an appointment with the appropriate officer. We are extremely busy in the office so please leave a message if you’re unable to catch us on the phone.